Southern Miss is partnering with Examity® to assist you in your proctoring needs for your online classes. This provides another option for distance students who can’t meet at a proctoring center.
- Faculty should set exam dates and times (in Central Time Zone) before the term starts and provide this schedule in the syllabus, along with a syllabus statement advising students of their proctoring options.
- Emphasize on the syllabus students go through Canvas to create their accounts and to schedule exams through Examity® link under the course Modules.
- Students should keep track of their confirmation email and/or screenshot of registration.
- Edit the details or unpublish your Canvas Quizzes before making the Examity link available to students.
- After publishing your Canvas Quizzes, access the Examity link as Instructor to ensure students are only seeing the tests you wish proctored
- Edit the exams to be proctored to make sure the instructions to the proctor, dates, duration and password are correct.
- Setup your exams with the proctoring service/site early in the term.
- It is highly recommended to scheduled your exams to be available for more than one day.
- For those using Canvas to deliver the exams, the exam can be created using Canvas. Setup the dates, duration, and password. Publish the exam to have the details imported over to your Examity Dashboard. Return to this same Canvas test to complete creating your questions at your convenience.
- Examity contact person is Graham Jones, email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions by Instructors
Before you can add the Examity link, you must send an email to Susan.Rayborn@usm.edu to request the course be added to Examity’s tool. Provide the course/s and section/s.
After 24 hours, you will be able to add the Examity link –
- Click Modules
- Click the +Module button
- Name the module Examity
- Click the + located to the right of the newly added module’s name
- Click the drop down next to Assignments to expand the list
- Click External Tool
- Find Examity in the list
- Click Add Item
Instructors should access Examity to ensure only those tests to be proctored are visible to students.
- Click on the Examity link.
- Click the button next to Instructor
- Click Login
- Click the down arrow to choose your time zone.
- Click the Courses/Exams tab.
Publish the Examity module/link to allow students access.
You’ll find these instructions will provide you with everything you need.
By default, your Published Exam in Canvas, Quizzes, will be exported and available on your Examity Dashboard.
- Only the information of the Details tab of the published quiz/test is automatically imported to your Examity Dashboard. The test still lives and is accessed through Canvas.
- The test information will show on your Examity Dashboard the day after the test is published.
Scheduling Outside the Testing Window:
To schedule an exam outside the test window, send an email to the student and copy firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following information in your email:
Subject Line: University of Southern Mississippi – Permission Granted to Schedule Outside Testing Window – Student Name
The duration of time the extension is granted:
In the email – please ask the student to call our support desk at 855-392-6489, option 1 and a support agent will be able to help schedule the student.
The quizzes/tests/exams created in Canvas will show on the Examity® portal approximately 24 hours after the test are published in Canvas.
In other words, when you publish the test in Canvas, the update of data is pushed after midnight, and the test will show in the Examity® portal the following day.
Be sure to click located on the left of the name of the course to see all associated tests.
If your tests live on a Publisher’s site, you must use the Add Exam icon to create a Standalone test. See “How do I setup the Exam with is hosted on a Publisher’s site.”
Examity imports the details of the Canvas Quiz to the Examity Dashboard only once.
If you make changes to the details tab of the Quiz in your Canvas course, you must go through Examity to make the changes to the test.
- Click the Examity link in your course
- Click the Course & Exams tab
- Click the expanding arrow to the left of the Course with the Exam
- Click the pencil icon on the far right of the test to be edited.
By default, Examity® will import over all published tests in your Canvas course.
You must manually add a new exam, when your students must access a Publisher’s site to take a test.
- Click Examity to enter as instructor
- Setup your time zone
- Click Courses/Exams
- Click the arrow to the left of the course id
- This will expand the tests associated with the courses.
- Click the trash can next to any test you do not want proctored. This will eliminate it from Examity, but the test will still live in Canvas.
By default, the newly published Canvas Quiz will import over to the Examity Dashboard the following day of being published. This import contains the information that was added to the Details tab of the Canvas Quiz. It is not the actual quiz.
The Stand-alone Exam is used to give Examity the required information for those tests that do not live in Canvas.
Wait over night after publishing the Canvas Quiz to allow time for the import to complete.
No. The past courses are important to keep in order to retrieve any reports made by proctors concerning students.
Instead of deleting, take a moment to edit the courses. Using the instructions below, you can add the semester to the name of the courses or make the past courses inactive.
It is important to provide all proctors notice of each student who requires extra time to complete the test.
- The process requires setting up the extra time on the Canvas Quiz, by using the Moderate Quiz
- Notice must be sent to Vanessa.McCullum for those students who need extra time and choose to schedule with an in-person proctor.
- In Examity, there are 2 locations to notify the virtual proctors.
- Edit the Exam under your Courses and Exams
- Edit the settings for the student under the Students tab.
The Examity Dashboard is the central control center for each person and is user specific.
Access the Examity link in one course will allow you to see all of your courses using Examity.
It also provides quick access to
- Examity Support
- Live Chat
- Course and Exams (all of your courses and exams)
- Exam Status
- Students (all of your students in active courses)
At some point, you will receive a notification from Examity concerning one of your student’s behavior during a test. Or one of your students may claim a technical problem with Examity as the reason he/she missed the test.
You have the power to review the proctor’s notes regarding the student’s interaction prior to or during a test, by going to your Examity Dashboard.
Red flagged exams will stay on the Exam Status page for 1 year. For all other exams, they will remain on the Exam Status page for 30 days, and then an additional 30 days after this.
If requested, Examity Support can provide a direct link to an exam video as needed.
Best Practices for Students
- Don’t wait until the last hour to schedule your exam. The Internet is busy during testing time.
- The sooner you schedule your appointment the better your experience will be.
- Be conscious of who is using the Internet as you are taking your test. The more people accessing the wireless system will make a slower Internet connection.
- If possible, plug your computer into the hard-wire connection.
- Check you computer setup the day before and within 15 to 20 minutes of your exam.
Frequently Asked Questions by Students
Examity® can be found under the Examity SSO Module.
- Click Modules on the course menu.
- Click the Examity link
The proctoring fee is determined by the duration the instructor has set for the exam.
- $15.00 for the first hour and $7.00 for each additional hour.
- Students are charged a $5.00 late fee if scheduled within 24 hours of the exam opening date.
- Mississippi charges 7% sales tax on the service.